Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Shopping for School Clothes

This post could be subtitled: It's only money (or plastic).

I worked all day, picked up Eldest Daughter from work and then we went home to switch cars and take 2/3 of the girls shopping for school clothes. The baby isn't going to school so she didn't get to come. We went to a big mall (Metrotown) and spent about 3 hours hitting Old Navy, Baby Gap, The Disney Store and The Children's Place. My ED got plenty of clothes for her daughter and I got more than enough for DC.

The biggest problem is that DC is very petite and it's hard to get skirts or dresses that fit her and still cover her knees. One denim skirt she tried on that fit lengthwise was about 3 or 4 inches too big in the waist! It basically just fell off her.

We hit the stores in the order I listed them in and there was really very little that fit her at Old Navy so I bought some things that I wasn't overly crazy about, just because they fit. I got a couple of nicer dresses at Baby Gap. Then we got to The Disney Store, where they were having a 50% off sale on a lot of items. I bought a couple of tops, an overall dress and a beautiful jumper type dress (okay, that one was full price). But the Children's Place was the prize!

They had 6x/7 skirts that were long enough and yet had easily adjustable waists. We got 3 in corduroy and one denim. Four long sleeved tops in mix and match colours. Four pairs of co-ordinating tights. Next time we go to The Children's Place first!

Now, my biggest problem is that I want to take some of the other stuff back and DC is freaking out. But really, some of it just doesn't measure up or it doesn't match colourwise with her other stuff. I think 2 dresses and one skirt will go back at an absolute minimum.

All in all, I'm really pleased with the things I found and DC is set for the fall and most of the winter too (though she'll need boots and a couple of warmer tops or sweaters later).

No comments: