Thursday, November 6, 2008

Unscheduled Rant

This is for the guy (or gal) driving a van north on Knight Street this morning in the rain.

You know when you hit your brakes hard and you heard a little thump on the back of your van? That was my husband's face smashing into your back window! Maybe after you parked your vehicle at your destination you noticed a little dirty mark on your back bumper. That was from my hubby's bike. The front fork has to be replaced and it's going to cost about $100.

Was that a spot of blood on the back window that the rain didn't quite wash away? That would be from where his face was cut open above and below his eye. You mean you didn't notice his face in your rear view window? Maybe you don't use your mirrors much. I'm sure if you had noticed you wouldn't have driven off and left the scene. In case you're not aware, that's a criminal offense. If my husband hadn't been in pain and shock perhaps he could have gotten your plate number and you can bet the police would have been at your door.

Lucky for you both that he was able to stay upright and get out of the travelled portion with his non-functional bike without being hit by anybody else.

In case nobody noticed, I'm upset. Listen, accidents happen, especially in the rain and Baruch Hashem [Thank G-d] my husband is going to be fine. The point is that drivers in general (and this person specifically) have to pay better attention. Pay attention so you don't have to stomp on your brakes. Pay attention so you know what vehicles, bikes and pedestrians are around you. Pay attention so you'll know if you hit someone!

I left work to take my husband to Emergency and the bike to be repaired. They checked him out and sewed him up with stitches that have to be removed in 5 days. The longer of the 2 cuts is 2 to 3" long and right under his eye. The other one is above his eyebrow. Baruch Hashem, his eye itself is fine. He's badly shaken up and his chest is sore but they don't think he cracked any ribs, not that there's much in the way of treatment for that anyway. They basically just gave him some Tylenol 3 and told him to go home and rest.

While Hubby was waiting in Emergency he felt something rough in his mouth and took his partial plate out. The front tooth fell out of the plate. Yippee. So, when he was done there we went to the dentist. The choices were to replace the entire plate for about $500 or glue the tooth back in. We voted for glue.

Anyway, thanks to my readers for letting me vent. I'm going to bed now because tomorrow is the first early Shabbos of the year. We light candles at 4:23 pm and I've done nothing today in preparation. I work tomorrow until I go to pick up my Dear Child at 2 pm so there's not a ton of time. Luckily I've planned to make a vegetarian lasagne for Friday night, which only takes about 20 minutes of prep and another 20 minutes in the oven.

Shabbat Shalom!

3 comments:

Bouncing Back said...

RANT AWAY! I hope your husband is doing better!

Batya said...

Refuah shleimah. What an awful story which could have ended so much worse.
My elder son was hit by a small truck when riding his bike when he was nine. He suffered a dislocated pelvis and serious cuts on his leg, among more minor injuries. Baruch Hashem he did recover, but he was hospitalized for four weeks and restricted for much longer.

Shevy said...

@bouncing back
Yes, thanks. He got the stitches out today (Nov 11) and feels much better. Unfortunately, the glue isn't working for the plate and he's going to have to go back to the dentist. I'm really dreading the cost.

@muse
One of the reasons I was so upset at a relatively minor accident is because I know very well how much more serious it could have been.

*My* eldest was hit by a car while riding home Erev Shavuot when he was 14! He ended up with a compound leg fracture (requiring a metal plate and screws) and a closed fracture of the pelvis, with me signing consents just before candlelighting. He spent 2 weeks in Childrens and there were 2 other kids in there at the same time, also bike vs. car accidents, and both kids were comatose. Baruch Hashem, he also recovered fully and we received much help from community members over the holiday.

But my hubby's accident stirred up a lot of memories and then reading about your son was very eerie. I'm glad he too is well.